Prostate cancer is a very dangerous disease that affects the males. It is a cancer that affects the prostate gland which is saddled with the sole responsibility of producing seminal fluid that transport and nourishes the sperm.
Prostate cancer grows slowly but it can be treated when detected at its early stage. When one is infected with prostate cancer, such an individual begins to experience the following symptoms.
- Problem when urinating.
- Stains of blood in the semen.
- Pains in the bone and joint.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Low force in the stream of urine when urinating.
Please, when you discover any of these signs, try and see a doctor immediately.
Cancer simply means excessive duplication of cells hence prostate cancer is caused due to the abnormal production of cells in the prostate gland. These abnormal cells that are produced gradually form tumor and can also spread to other parts of the body.
Some risk factors of prostate cancer include
- Age: as you age, your risk of prostate cancer increases.
- Race: men from the black race carry a greater risk of prostate cancer than men from other races.
- Family history: you carry a greater risk of prostate cancer if anyone from your family had it.
- Obesity: men who are obese are more likely to be infected with prostate cancer.
Some ways you can prevent prostate cancer include.
- Since obesity is one of the risk factors, maintain a very healthy weight by engaging in constant exercise and checking your diet.
- Always go for regular check up in case of early signs.
- Regular exercise to burn calories.
- Chose a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables.
The food we eat goes a long way to affect our health. Food plays a very great role in increasing the risk of developing prostate cancer. Men, please avoid these foods to reduce your risk of prostate cancer.
- Red and processed meat.
Studies have shown that a diet high in meat increases one’s chances of developing prostate cancer. This is due to the presence of heterocyclic amines ( HCAs) which are formed when meat are being cooked at a high temperature. Avoid red and processed meats like pork, beef, lunch meats, hot dogs and sausage. Go for better supplements like lean poultry e.g. turkey and chicken, beans and legumes, nuts etc.
Excessive consumption of dairy products increases one’s risk of developing prostate cancer. Skim and low fat milks also increases one’s chances of developing the disease. Please, reduce your level of consumption of dairy products. Low fat and fat free varieties will make better supplements. Reduce your intake of whole milk, full fat cheeses, full fat yogurts, full fat butter etc and replace them with better products like almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc.
Consumption of excess alcohol increases your chances of developing prostate cancer. Those who drink excessively have a very high chance of being diagnosed with prostate cancer. Please reduce your intake of alcohol if you don’t want to be affected with this disease.
- Saturated fats
Saturated fats are not only linked to heart disease but to prostate cancer also. This research is still tentative but saturated fats leads to the creation of fiber and nutrient dense plants which increase your risk of this disease so avoid it totally.
The purpose of this article is to bring to your knowledge of things that leads to prostate cancer so that you can protect yourself. Health is wealth, your ability to pass through this world is once so stay safe.