Legal practitioners are role models and ministers in the temple of justice, this extends beyond court rooms up to the society at large. Suffice to say that today, (modernity and advancement in information technology has brought a lot of changes and innovations)Lawyers in Nigeria are coping and advancing with the digital age, most especially the teeming young lawyers among us. Thus, as we are all aware, that cyber attacks is a daily occurrence this is aided by the fact that as we use the internet we leave digital footprint. As, lawyers our ability to take precautions gives one an edge ahead as is the first principle of cyber security ‘never leave a window open’ comes to mind.
The coming of COVID- 19 pandemic and the lock down that followed had spiked a, rise on internet activities became and internet presence but same cannot however be said of cyber security, records shows that cyber attacks increased as far as even Mark Zuckerberg, Barrack Obama and other renowned people’s were victim too. Fellow colleagues were not spared as we witnessed their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts coming under attack as the attackers have their field days. Suffice to say that the target of lawyers accounts by the hackers cannot be said to be a coincidence bearing in mind the personality of a lawyer in the society and the clientele value, it goes a long way to the advantage of the hackers to use the account in scamming innocent individuals. The consequences is disastrous and unimaginable, hence the need for this write up suggesting and recommending some useful tips with a view to protecting Nigerian Lawyer from the incessant attacks by hackers.
- A lawyer should create for his Facebook account a Password with difficult combination but easy to remember, it should compose of caps, numbers, and symbols. The greater variety of characters using the entire keyboard, the more secured the account gets, E.g Ioha2K18omGw($). One may think the example password is hard to commit to memory, that’s why it’s allowed to write it down but to keep the writing in a safe secured place. Lastly, after creating or changing your password to a more complex one, use a password checker to evaluate the password’s strength automatically. Just
- Hide your email address from your profile viewers and this can be done in the privacy setting under contact/basic info. Go to to the top right or left conner of your account homepage, tap on your name, click on edit profile, navigate to contact information where there is a list of emails addresses associated with your account, click on the bottom of of the right of the email address that looks like a silhouette, from this drop down menu select “only me”
- Disable any application that you don’t use.
- Enable the two factor verification (2FV), this always helps confirm suspicious log in by demanding a confirmation by either call, text message or code. This is a security feature that helps a lot to protect your account in addition to your password. Thus, a 2FV secured Facebook account upon log in requires special log in code or confirmation of any log in attempt each time someone tries accessing your account form a browser or device not recognized by Facebook. To implement same in your account is pretty easy if you follow these steps; log into your account and go to setting, scroll down and tap on security and log in, scroll down and tap use two factor verification, tap use Authentication App or Use Text Message (SMS). After setting up, you will be asked to choose one of the two security methods of either logo codes from a third party or text message (SMS) codes form your mobile phone. Once the afore stated is achieved, you will be able to set up some optional methods like; approving your log in attempt from a device recognized by Facebook, using one of the your recovery codes, tapping your security key on a compatible device.
- Avoid working with your Facebook account from unknown devices.
- Use virtual private network while using WIFI as it has proved to be the smartest way to protect your online privacy and maintain your data security.
- Don’t click links in your email from Facebook team claiming your account is hacked and tells you to insert your verification data.
- Always use Google Chrome for Facebook, because it has the ability to recognize phishing web pages. Phishing is a type of cyber attack mechanism that uses fictitious urls. Without a brief explanation of how phishing works it’s going to be hard for one to comprehended this tip. Phishing is associated with Facebook when someone tries to get access to your Facebook account by sending you a suspicious message or link that requires you to input your personal information. If the attackers succeed by getting into your account through this trick, they us your account to send spam, just like we have seen lately on various hacked facebook accounts belonging to lawyers.
- Never use automatic authorization in your browser for any website including Facebook.
- Never give your email details to other resources except in necessity and immediately after ensure to change your password.
- Avoid downloading and installing unverified and obscured applications.
- Never include private data in choosing your password combinations, because cyber attackers usually deploy sophisticated password cracking application to decipher passwords. It is wise to avoid using dictionary words, words spelled backwards, sequences or repeated characters, abbreviations, personal information like; date of birth, name, family name, passport number etc.
- Update your Facebook application when there is a new version because it keeps the hackers backdated.
- Update your Facebook password regularly like every month.
How to recover your Facebook account that just got phished or hacked
- Once you discover or your attention have been drawn that your account is under cyber attack, if you are able to log into your account, immediately change your password to a more complex one as discussed above and log out of any device you used to access your account.
- What if you are unable to log into your account, and your username and password don’t work, click on learn how to recover your account and follow the instructions.
- If you want to see if anything strange has been happening to your account, learn how to review recent activity and follow the instructions.
The writer hopes the above tips meet you well and we can all feel free to add our contributions.